young adults transitioned from foster care to independence in Upbring BeREAL New Orleans in 2016
Achieving independence starts with empowerment
Until now, young adults coming out of foster care in New Orleans have had the odds stacked against them. Many do not graduate high school or achieve a higher education. Others are unable to obtain employment that provides a living. Our goal is to provide resources and support to help write a new story for these youth, aiding them in overcoming challenges as they transition from foster care to adulthood.
BeREAL Support Network
When foster children receive support, assistance and sometimes just a listening ear, they are on their way to successfully transitioning into the real world. BeREAL New Orleans has made a significant difference for these young adults by providing transition coaches and mentors to play important roles in helping foster teens find their paths to hopeful, productive futures with life-changing impact.
- Transition Coach: Assigned to each youth to assist with creating their education and career plan and providing advice, resources and counseling.
- Volunteer Mentor: Matched with each youth, offering additional support to help them achieve their goals.
- Gap Team Volunteers: Provide short-term, specific services such as tutoring.
We are always seeking people who want to make a tangible difference in the lives of foster youth.
BeREAL New Orleans offers:
- College and career counseling
- Incentives and scholarships for academic achievement
- Free outings and events
- Mentoring and permanent connections to caring adults
The Net Charter High School – A New Strategic Partnership
Upbring BeREAL New Orleans has partnered with The Net Charter High School – a progressive, innovative learning institution that serves students with many of the same struggles as our BeREAL youth.
In August 2015, BeREAL New Orleans relocated and is sharing a space at The Net – allowing our program to expand its impact and capacity in the New Orleans area – offering education and career development services to The Net?s seniors and alumni.
With this partnership, BeREAL New Orleans will continue to maintain a caseload of approximately six youth transitioning out of foster care, as well as provide services to approximately 50 students and numerous alumni from The Net.
We Need Your Help
- BeREAL Housing Assistance. Provide rent, furniture or household supplies for foster youth who turn 18 while still in high school.
- Mentor or Volunteer. Work with a BeREAL participant as they advance through our program.
- Make a Gift. Your financial support is used for college scholarships, school supplies, personal items, transportation costs, recreational activities and more.
For more information about BeREAL New Orleans, call 504-931-3408.
Referring a Young Adult to BeREAL New Orleans
Do you know a youth in foster care who wants to BeREAL? We are reaching out to youth on a path to age out of the foster care system who want to be Ready Educated Accomplished Leaders.
Who can refer a youth for BeREAL participation?
- Any party affiliated with the youth who has contact with the DCFS caseworker.
- Youth in foster care between the ages of 13 and 17.
Factors to consider when referring a young person to BeREAL New Orleans include:
- Youth must be in foster care.
- Youth must be living in the greater New Orleans area.
- He/she must be between the ages of 13 and 17.
- Youth must be in good academic standing in middle or high school.
What is the application process?
If the affiliated person/caseworker and the foster youth both agree that he/she would benefit from BeREAL New Orleans, please fill out the following forms and send them to the BeREAL staff:
- BeREAL New Orleans Youth Referral Form.
- BeREAL New Orleans Youth Application Form.
- Please also include the young person’s most recent grade report.
For more information on BeREAL New Orleans, please contact the program staff at:
BeREAL New Orleans
6305 Elysian Fields, Ste. 301B
New Orleans, LA 70122
View our Training Calendar
Skip to Foster Interest Form