future professionals aging out of foster care offered transition services through BeREAL, Upbring’s Supervised Independent Living program
BeREAL Austin, BeREAL San Antonio and BeREAL San Marcos are Supervised Independent Living programs designed to help the more than 1,300 young adults aging out of foster care in Central Texas every year. Through these programs we help individuals become self-sufficient members of the community, and ultimately break the generational cycle of abuse.
Until now, there have been very few options for young adults aging out of foster care in Austin, San Antonio and San Marcos. These young adults face a greater likelihood of homelessness and incarceration, as well as being less likely to graduate high school or enroll in secondary education.
Our goal is to change the odds for these young adults by offering support as they transition from foster care to adulthood.
- Austin and San Antonio – housing placements in apartments
- San Marcos – housing placements in apartments on the Texas State shuttle line
- Direct assistance for food, clothing, transportation and cell phones
- Case management
- Household setup (furniture and supplies)
- Life skills development opportunities
- Mentoring and permanent connections to caring adults
While at BeREAL, a young adult is expected to:
- Manage their own finances; buy groceries/personal items
- Establish key relationships
- Identify and accomplish education and employment goals
- Access community resources
- Attend life-skills training
- Transition to unsupervised independent living
Let’s make it simple:
- To qualify for Upbring BeREAL, young adults must be between 18-21 years of age;
- have been in foster care on their 18th birthday;
- be in school*, working or a combination of both.
*For BeREAL San Marcos – you must be enrolled at Texas State University, working or a combination of both.
Applicants must complete a Department of Family and Protective Services (DFPS) application and submit to their DFPS caseworker. Once approved, DFPS will refer applicants to Upbring, where they can apply for BeREAL.
BeREAL needs your help.
- Adopt a BeREAL apartment. Provide support for furniture and household supplies.
- Work with a BeREAL participant as he or she advances through our program.
- Make a Gift. Your support to the client care fund is used to buy groceries, school supplies, personal items, transportation costs and more.
For more information about Upbring BeREAL, call 512-813-9828.
As a new program, Upbring BeREAL Austin and BeREAL San Antonio need your support. Of course, we understand not everyone is in a position to make a financial gift. In helping our young adults settle into the BeREAL transition program, there is a great need for in-kind donations. Please take a look at the list below and get in touch if you think you can help.
In addition to the items listed below, we also welcome gift cards for HEB, Target, Walmart, Bed Bath & Beyond and other stores where these items can be purchased.
We currently do not need clothing.
Pots & pans
Sheets (full or queen)
First aid kits
Beds (mattress & box springs)
Living area seating
Broom & dust pan
View our Training Calendar
Skip to Foster Interest Form