Through a partnership with the Office of Refugee Resettlement (ORR), Upbring helps provide safe, temporary foster homes to migrant children who have crossed the Southern border without a parent or guardian. With offices in El Paso, Texas and Corpus Christi, Texas, Upbring Transitional Foster Care ensures that both pregnant teens and unaccompanied children under age 12 stay in safe, stable homes, and are given access to medical care, education and case management until they are reunited with their families or a sponsor.

The need for capable foster parents to provide a temporary home for unaccompanied migrant children continues to grow. If you’re interested in partnering with Upbring to care for a child who has made the treacherous journey to the United States, please give us a call at 915-771-0281 (El Paso) or 361-400-1200 (Corpus Christi). 



children served through Upbring Transitional Foster Care in 2021

Children in Transitional Foster Care FAQs

Where are they traveling from?

A majority of children in Upbring’s Transitional Foster Care program migrate from Honduras, Guatemala and El Salvador and are among the most vulnerable populations in the U.S.

Why did they leave their home country?

Children often leave their country of origin to escape from violence or abusive family situations, to reunite with family members in the U.S. or to seek better education and employment opportunities. Many families living in Central American countries cannot afford to continue their children’s education past the U.S. equivalent of the sixth grade.

Tell me more about the children

The children are usually predominately Spanish-speaking and often suffer from post-traumatic stress. The most common forms of trauma they have experienced are physical abuse and abandonment by parents or primary caretakers.

How long would I care for them?

The average length of stay in a foster home is approximately 35 days.

Can I adopt them?

Unaccompanied minors in our Upbring Transitional Foster Care program are not available for adoption.

Transitional Foster Care Parents FAQ

How can I become a Transitional Foster parent with Upbring?

Transitional Foster parents must be verified by the Texas Department of Family and Protective Services, thoroughly screened and must be oriented and trained to handle the specific needs of foreign and immigrant children.

Is Upbring’s Transitional Foster Care program part of Foster In Texas?

The Transitional Foster Care program is separate from the Upbring Foster In Texas domestic foster care program in El Paso.

How can I learn more?

For more information about becoming a Transitional Foster Care parent, please call 915-771-0281 (El Paso) or 361-400-1200 (Corpus Christi)